Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Rope, cord, straps, or chains used to attach or secure an item.
- ‘However, because buffeting is more of an issue during the construction phase, the bridge could if necessary be stabilized during construction by tie-downs.’
- ‘Use tie-downs to anchor the trailer to the ground or your house.’
- ‘If you live in a manufactured home, re-check and reinforce tie-downs.’
- ‘Codes now require architects to use cross bracings and tie-downs to make houses more hurricane resistant.’
- ‘Other big-tent features include a fly vent and foul-weather tie-downs - even a clear skylight.’
- ‘Aircrew quickly undid the tie-downs and prepared to lower the ramp as the commandos started their vehicles.’
- ‘When my response wasn't met with a chuckle or a smile from the evaluator, I quickly opened the door and looked to make sure I hadn't forgotten to pull the chocks or unfasten the wing tie-downs.’
- ‘Zassa watched as the last crate was shoved into place, the tie-downs clicking into place.’
- ‘Durant was sitting on the cold flooring of the hold outside a locker full of cargo tie-downs, tarps, and cables he had been looking through.’
- ‘The SpringHouse tm can create humid conditions in any geographic environment, and will set up on both soil or hard surfaces, with stakes and tie-downs that secure the greenhouse in high winds.’
- ‘The biggest change will come on the MPT 1200 and 1000 models that feature a roto-molded, polyethylene cross-link load bed with inserts for tie-downs and racks.’
- ‘The pickup box is lined, and includes slots for lumber dividers and multiple, heavy-duty tie-downs.’
- 1.1A stationary ring, post, or the like to which items are secured with tie-downs.
- ‘It also has a tailgate with independently opening rear window, luggage tie-downs, removable luggage cover, and also a cargo net.’
- ‘Freight tie-downs were recessed into the floor and spaced three meters apart in a grid pattern.’
- ‘A slight S-curve flows through body sides punctuated by large, bluff wheel arches, and bed tie-downs are integrated into the upper pickup box surface just below the edge of the bed liner.’
- ‘A rubber mat and four tie-downs make the loadspace adaptable for many uses.’
- ‘The scats are not removable, an idea that would make for even more storage space, but the seat latches can double as tie-downs when the seats are flipped forward.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.