One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Rope, cord, straps, or chains used to attach or secure an item.
- ‘The biggest change will come on the MPT 1200 and 1000 models that feature a roto-molded, polyethylene cross-link load bed with inserts for tie-downs and racks.’
- ‘Durant was sitting on the cold flooring of the hold outside a locker full of cargo tie-downs, tarps, and cables he had been looking through.’
- ‘If you live in a manufactured home, re-check and reinforce tie-downs.’
- ‘Aircrew quickly undid the tie-downs and prepared to lower the ramp as the commandos started their vehicles.’
- ‘Codes now require architects to use cross bracings and tie-downs to make houses more hurricane resistant.’
- ‘Use tie-downs to anchor the trailer to the ground or your house.’
- ‘Zassa watched as the last crate was shoved into place, the tie-downs clicking into place.’
- ‘However, because buffeting is more of an issue during the construction phase, the bridge could if necessary be stabilized during construction by tie-downs.’
- ‘When my response wasn't met with a chuckle or a smile from the evaluator, I quickly opened the door and looked to make sure I hadn't forgotten to pull the chocks or unfasten the wing tie-downs.’
- ‘The SpringHouse tm can create humid conditions in any geographic environment, and will set up on both soil or hard surfaces, with stakes and tie-downs that secure the greenhouse in high winds.’
- ‘The pickup box is lined, and includes slots for lumber dividers and multiple, heavy-duty tie-downs.’
- ‘Other big-tent features include a fly vent and foul-weather tie-downs - even a clear skylight.’
- 1.1 A stationary ring, post, or the like to which items are secured with tie-downs.
restrict, restrain, limit, constrain, confine, crampView synonyms
- ‘Freight tie-downs were recessed into the floor and spaced three meters apart in a grid pattern.’
- ‘The scats are not removable, an idea that would make for even more storage space, but the seat latches can double as tie-downs when the seats are flipped forward.’
- ‘A rubber mat and four tie-downs make the loadspace adaptable for many uses.’
- ‘A slight S-curve flows through body sides punctuated by large, bluff wheel arches, and bed tie-downs are integrated into the upper pickup box surface just below the edge of the bed liner.’
- ‘It also has a tailgate with independently opening rear window, luggage tie-downs, removable luggage cover, and also a cargo net.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.