One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An office or kiosk where tickets are sold, especially for entertainment events or travel accommodations.
- ‘Tickets for the 22nd Orkney Folk Festival went on sale from Tuesday at the festival ticket office in Victoria Street, Stromness.’
- ‘The virtual station would offer a ticket office where through journeys to all parts of the country could be booked, an information centre and a comfortable waiting area.’
- ‘At 19: 00, their ticket office has been closed and no one answer the phone.’
- ‘A specialised ticket office at York Racecourse is now selling the remaining Rails Enclosure tickets for the meeting.’
- ‘Improvements will include two counters in the ticket office, a staff office and fully accessible public toilet with baby changing facilities.’
- ‘Others were only just starting to queue at the bottom station of the cabin lift and we saw the warning signs; long queues at the ticket office.’
- ‘‘I'm sure it's manic down at the ticket office, but I don't feel that way,’ he says.’
- ‘The ticket office will be open Monday 9am to 5pm, Tuesday 9am to 1pm and on Christmas Eve morning.’
- ‘Tickets are available from the Linenhall ticket office.’
- ‘The City ticket office at Bootham Crescent is selling tickets for the clash at Bournemouth on October 26.’
- ‘To relieve the demand for train tickets, Shanghai Railway Station opened a special ticket office on Nanjing Road for tourists.’
- ‘There is neither a ticket office nor waiting rooms.’
- ‘We found ourselves the ticket office at the station, got ourselves some tickets and headed off to the train.’
- ‘A ticket can only be purchased on a train if the ticket office is closed or unstaffed.’
- ‘You sit on real train seats, the snug is a carriage, and the ticket office will sell you expensive draught beer.’
- ‘I found it hard to bear the service in the railway ticket office, the post office, the bank, etc.’
- ‘The pre-paid ticket machine had no record of my booking, so we queued up at the ticket office, where it was confirmed that my payment hadn't gone through on the website.’
- ‘The space in the ticket office will be better utilised and the footbridge will also be lit up.’
- ‘More volunteers are drafted in just in time as the ferry spills out the first swell of festival-goers who immediately target our ticket office en-masse.’
- ‘The town has certainly been gripped by Cup fever with long queues outside the ticket office yesterday morning and 1000 tickets being sold in the first hour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.