Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Transmitted or carried by ticks.‘babesiosis is a tick-borne, malaria-like disease’
- ‘Family physicians should consider tick-borne diseases when patients present with influenza-like symptoms.’
- ‘Tick-borne encephalitis, also known as spring-summer encephalitis, is a tick-borne viral infection that causes inflammation of the central nervous system.’
- ‘A 2002 outbreak of tick-borne relapsing fever in Montana - the first confirmation of relapsing fever in the state - has led to the discovery of a bacterium and species of tick not known previously to exist in Montana.’
- ‘The introduction of cattle-dipping to combat East Coast fever, a tick-borne disease, was equally fraught.’
- ‘What I'm worried about is all of those bacteria that live in tick guts and get regurgitated into their victim's blood stream, causing all manner of tick-borne diseases.’
- ‘People who spend time in areas where tick bites are common, either through work or recreation, are at higher risk of getting tick-borne diseases.’
- ‘Sheep and deer ticks can transmit Lyme disease and tick-borne encephalitis, and seabird ticks can carry psittacosis.’
- ‘Table 1 summarizes the most common tick-borne diseases.’
- ‘Next month the first ever conference into tick-borne disease is being held at Hull University, attracting experts from all over the world.’
- ‘The other danger of rearing imported species of cattle lies in the prevalence of diseases affecting animals such as foot and mouth, corridor, tick-borne and mad cow diseases.’
- ‘Persons who remove attached ticks should be monitored closely for signs and symptoms of tick-borne diseases for up to 30 days.’
- ‘Lyme disease is the leading cause of tick-borne infectious illness in the U.S. with about 16,000 cases reported annually.’
- ‘Which one of the following statements about the clinical presentation of tick-borne relapsing fever is correct?’
- ‘Avoiding these areas will reduce the probability of exposure to tick-borne diseases.’
- ‘Heartwater is a tick-borne disease, which has been a scourge of South African livestock owners for over a hundred years.’
- ‘Contact your vet asap to have her checked for tick-borne diseases, and to discuss how to treat the infestation.’
- ‘The best method of limiting tick-borne diseases is preventing tick bites.’
- ‘A warming climate will increase the range and incidence of tropical diseases such as malaria and tick-borne encephalitis.’
- ‘If I had a dog who'd already had a tick-borne illness, I'd use a really reliable tick preventative (possibly year-round, depending on where you live, ticks are hardy little horrors).’
- ‘For your patients who frequent the woods, tick-borne disease should be a consideration.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.