Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The inner and typically larger of the two bones between the knee and the ankle (or the equivalent joints in other terrestrial vertebrates), parallel with the fibula.
- ‘The kneecap is then moved across to the outer side of the knee to expose the knee joint behind it, between the tibia (shin bone) and the femur (thigh bone).’
- ‘The cause of Blount disease is unknown, but it causes abnormal growth at the top of the tibia bone by the knee joint.’
- ‘Miss Rowley, 29, broke her tibia and fibula bones and underwent two operations which resulted in her left leg being half an inch shorter than the right.’
- ‘The earliest members of the group had two separate leg bones, the tibia and fibula, just like humans.’
- ‘However, as a 4 year old he had a fractured tibia and fibula.’
- ‘X-rays later revealed that both the tibia and fibula bones in Marcus's right leg fractured.’
- ‘Bruce Latimer, director of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History in Ohio, said an ankle bone and tibia discovered at the site proves the creature walked upright.’
- 1.1Zoology The tibiotarsus of a bird.
- ‘The bird's tibia (lower leg bone) has been fused with some of the upper bones of the foot to form the tibiotarsus.’
- ‘The left tibia was removed from each bird, cleaned, and marked for identification.’
- ‘A bird with a broken tibia popped off her own cast after a week.’
- ‘The crest is the round disc of bone attached to the upper part of the tibia that acts as a kind of lever for the bird's movement.’
- ‘Severely affected birds may have a marked bowing of the tibia, be reluctant to move, and have a stilted gait.’
- 1.2Biology The fourth segment of the leg of an insect, between the femur and the tarsus.
- ‘The second segment, or tibia, is also long, and in most species is equipped with a line of wicked barbs pointing outward.’
- ‘In addition to the pretarsus, tarsus, tibia and femur, insects have two proximal (closer to the body) segments not shown in the figure.’
- ‘The femur-tibia (FT) feedback system of the stick insect is one of the best known motion feedback systems in arthropods.’
- ‘The claw is closeable over its entire length and the prey is fixed between the femur (upper arm) and the tibia (lower arm) of the insect leg.’
- ‘Both sexes have a pair of ‘spurs’ on each hind leg where the tibia, or fourth leg segment, joins the tarsus, or foot.’
Late Middle English: from Latin, shin bone.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.