Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animal of a breed of large black-and-tan dog with a thick coat and drop ears.
- ‘Some experts believe both dogs may be descended from the Tibetan mastiff, which is often recognized as one of the most ancient dog breeds.’
- ‘In order to turbocharge the Akita's aggressiveness, it was crossbred with Tibetan mastiffs and Great Danes.’
- ‘The first Tibetan Mastiff Club of America (TMCA) was founded in 1974, and is one of the oldest clubs for the Tibetan Mastiff in America.’
- ‘In the dog shows in Delhi, the Tibetan mastiff, the Lhasa Apso and the Rampur hound are, very often, the stars.’
- ‘A fearsome Tibetan mastiff stands guard outside a dwelling while a smaller dog is ready to sound the alarm indoors if anyone is clever enough or lucky enough to slip past the mastiff.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.