A small chiefly North American plant of the saxifrage family.
- ‘As I occasionally deadheaded the shade perennials, I admired the tiarellas for their toughness - and their beauty of both leaf and form.’
- ‘I'm also adding a few tiarellas in between, but they just aren't as hardy as the herbs though.’
- ‘In winter, hot sun is not really an issue for shade plants, and the new varieties of tellimas and tiarellas are quite adaptable to sun locations.’
- ‘We have been surprised at how drought-tolerant tiarellas are under our maples.’
- ‘Their cheerful porcelain-white blossoms dance and dart in the autumn breezes, towering over the heucheras, tiarellas, and ferns at their feet.’
Modern Latin, from Latin tiara ‘turban, tiara’ + the diminutive suffix -ella.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.