Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An order of insects that comprises the thrips.
- ‘For the Insecta, 29 families in 8 orders were identified, with species of Thysanoptera, Coleoptera, and Heteroptera being the most abundant.’
- ‘For the other two hemipteroid orders, Thysanoptera and Psocoptera, only partial mtDNA sequences are available.’
- ‘The Recent fauna of Thysanoptera is dominated by taxa that evolved only in the last 40-50 million years, despite at least 230 million years of evolutionary history for the order.’
- ‘THE ORDER Thysanoptera, or thrips (pi. and sing.), is comprised of approximately 5,000 known species of small insects with diverse life histories and habits.’
- 1.1as plural noun thysanoptera Insects of the order "Thysanoptera"; thrips.
- ‘Over 45,000 arthropods were collected from 55 plants (5 plants from each of 11 sites), dominated numerically by Acari and Thysanoptera.’
- ‘Pollination is insect mediated, the main foragers observed in the field being small Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Lepidoptera, Diptera, and Thysanoptera.’
- ‘But the scorching weather has also seen the arrival of the irritating heatwave insect, thysanoptera, commonly known as the thunder bug.’
- ‘The communities were dominated numerically by Thysanoptera (leaves and stalks) and Acari, but other taxa including Heteroptera and Coleoptera were also relatively common.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek thusanos tassel + pteron wing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.