Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hormone secreted by the pituitary gland that regulates the production of thyroid hormones.
- ‘Of these, eight had been treated with thyroxine for an abnormal test result for thyrotrophin releasing hormone, and all considered their menstrual loss to have returned to normal.’
- ‘Anterior pituitary function was investigated in five patients using glucagon, thyrotrophin releasing hormone, and gonadotrophin releasing hormone challenge.’
- ‘The response to thyroxine in patients with positive autoantibodies or abnormal thyrotrophin releasing hormone responses did not differ from that in other participants; numbers were too small for detailed analysis.’
- ‘The evaluation of erectile dysfunction includes a sexual history, a genital examination, a serum testosterone level, and prolactin and thyrotropin levels.’
- ‘Some investigators have claimed that lead affects both peripheral thyroid hormone levels and basal and stimulated thyrotrophin levels in lead-exposed males.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.