Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A protein present in the thyroid gland, from which thyroid hormones are synthesized.
- ‘Thyroid antibodies were measured by an immunoradiographic procedure using thyroglobulin and purified thyroid peroxidase in 11 subjects.’
- ‘The test measures a protein known as thyroglobulin, which is made by thyroid-cancer cells.’
- ‘The tissue specific expression of thyroglobulin and parathyroid hormone is commonly used for diagnosis and follow up of patients with thyroid cancer.’
- ‘Immunostains for thyroglobulin were positive in both tumor elements, and calcitonin stain was negative.’
- ‘Chronic stimulation of the receptor causes an increase in the synthesis of a major thyroid hormone precursor, thyroglobulin.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.