Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lymphoid organ situated in the neck of vertebrates that produces T cells for the immune system. The human thymus becomes much smaller at the approach of puberty.→ thymi
- ‘The liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, thymus, adrenals, and stomach were examined histopathologically and were all found to be normal.’
- ‘Leukocytes are produced or stored in many locations throughout the body, including the thymus, spleen, and bone marrow.’
- ‘The lymphatic system consists of lymph nodes and vessels, the thymus, spleen and bone marrow.’
- ‘About 10% of patients have a benign tumor of the thymus gland, a lymph gland that usually disappears at puberty.’
- ‘Primary lymphoid organs in the thymus and bone marrow constitute the major site of lymphocyte development.’
Late 16th century (denoting a growth or tumor resembling a bud): from Greek thumos excrescence like a thyme bud, thymus gland.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.