Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lymphocyte within the thymus gland.
- ‘Double positive thymocytes and natural killer cell systems have recently been reported that also only exhibit segregation.’
- ‘All the three proteoglycans stimulated mice thymocyte and splenocyte proliferation and elevated cell cytotoxicity.’
- ‘The effect of thymic peptide on the functions of tissue macrophages, tumor-associated macrophages, and tumor-induced apoptosis of thymocytes was studied.’
- ‘The systemic immune effects include increased apoptosis of thymocytes, decreased macrophage phagocytosis, thymic atrophy and diminished allograft rejection.’
- ‘In this system, viruses replicate faster, achieve higher titres, and deplete thymocytes better than their unmutated counterparts.’
1920s: from thymus + -cyte.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.