One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline nucleoside present in DNA, consisting of thymine linked to deoxyribose.
- ‘However, as indicated above, the salvage pathway to thymidine nucleotide synthesis is especially important in the preparation for cell division.’
- ‘Methionine synthase inhibition causes folate trapping and a reduction in the amount of folate available for thymidine synthesis as described above.’
- ‘Both of these enzymes are involved in thymidine nucleotide biosynthesis.’
- ‘For gene therapy based on the introduction of the herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase gene, the bystander effect depends on cell to cell contact and the presence of gap junctions.’
- ‘A DNA substrate containing a thymidine kinase gene fused to a neomycin-resistance gene was stably integrated into cells.’
Early 20th century: from thymine + -ide + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.