One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a number of flattened sacs inside a chloroplast, bounded by pigmented membranes on which the light reactions of photosynthesis take place, and arranged in stacks or grana.
- ‘The pigment proteolipids of thylakoids have both a photosynthetic function and a role in membrane structure.’
- ‘This organelle contains a complex membrane system, the thylakoids, in which the photosynthetic machinery is located.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
- ‘Chloroplasts at the proximal end of the cell also have grana, but with up to nine thylakoids per stack.’
- ‘Affected leaf tissue is white and the plastids lack thylakoids and chlorophyll.’
1960s: from German Thylakoid, from Greek thulakoidēs ‘pouch-like’, from thulakos ‘pouch’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.