One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Snowfall accompanied by thunder and lightning.‘thundersnow happens in Iowa about once every winter’
- ‘Thundersnow typically accompanies heavier amounts of snowfall, Kotenberg said.’
- ‘Thursday morning, I was awakened by thundersnow and a landscape already reshaped in shades of white and gray.’
- ‘For thundersnow to occur there needs to be a very precise set of circumstances -- the air layer closer to the ground has to be warmer than the layers above, but still cold enough to create snow.’
- ‘The storm brought snow as far south as northern Florida, thundersnow from Texas to Pennsylvania and snowdrifts of more than 10 meters in the north.’
- ‘Even when this winter finally ends, thundersnow and its friends will plot their return.’
- ‘In fact, I would not be surprised to hear reports of thundersnow.’
- ‘The forecast had suggested thundersnow, but the windows looked out on nothing but ordinary drenched lightlessness.’
- ‘This morning we had widespread thundersnow from Levenworth, Kansas to Warrensburg, Missouri.’
- ‘Very cold air moving over the comparatively warm North Sea generated the thundersnow.’
- ‘He cautions that lightning strikes during thundersnow are just as dangerous as any in a thunderstorm, but since fewer people are outside you rarely hear reports of people being struck.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.