One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A control device for electrical or mechanical equipment in the form of a wheel operated with the thumb.
- ‘Elevation adjustments are made via a horizontal thumbwheel at the rear of the mount.’
- ‘The monochrome screen is easy to read, and the clickable thumbwheel control permits scrolling through programming and feature menus readily enough.’
- ‘But the thumbwheel makes you feel like you're in control.’
- ‘For example, a four-way rocker button on the front works in combination with a thumbwheel on the side to let you choose channels and scroll through lists.’
- ‘If you've ever used these things, you know you have two thumbwheels - one on the headset, one on the base station.’
- ‘You can also use a thumbwheel to toggle between programs or launch new ones.’
- ‘Compact and chunky yet extremely light, it fits snugly into your hand so that the thumbwheel, volume buttons and other controls are all easily accessible.’
- ‘The player's menu system is very straightforward to use, with a thumbwheel to help you navigate tracks quickly.’
- ‘While not as quick as a thumbwheel system, once adjusted, it stays put.’
- ‘Dial the thumbwheel all the way back, and the tail swings like it belongs to Jennifer Lopez.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.