One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An indication of satisfaction or approval (or of rejection or failure)‘plans to build a house on the site have been given the thumbs down by the Department of the Environment’
rejection, refusal, veto, no, negation, rebuff, disapproval, turning down, turndown, non-acceptance, declining, dismissal, spurning, cold shoulder, cold-shouldering, snub, snubbingapproval, seal of approval, approbation, endorsement, welcome, encouragementView synonyms
- ‘It's with great regret that I give a collective thumbs down to a movie starring the normally entertaining Matthew Perry.’
- ‘Councillors agreed to send the letter at the January meeting of the local authority after giving the proposal a firm thumbs down.’
- ‘I made my challenge and he accepted it with his version of a thumbs up.’
- ‘The author - Jakob Nielsen - also gives a big thumbs down to subscriptions and advertisements.’
- ‘All three chief officers of the services have given it the thumbs up.’
- ‘Frequent-flier expert Randy Petersen gave a thumbs down to the move.’
- ‘Isn't it true that all the relevant statutory authorities have given the projects the thumbs up?’
- ‘Many watching the march demonstrated their approval by giving a thumbs up or by clapping.’
- ‘They seemed to approve of my subject because I received some thumbs up signals.’
- ‘It would be a pity that this event would not be celebrated and the thumbs up sign has already given it the green light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.