One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An indication of satisfaction or approval (or of rejection or failure)‘plans to build a house on the site have been given the thumbs down by the Department of the Environment’
rejection, refusal, veto, no, negation, rebuff, disapproval, turning down, turndown, non-acceptance, declining, dismissal, spurning, cold shoulder, cold-shouldering, snub, snubbingapproval, seal of approval, approbation, endorsement, welcome, encouragementView synonyms
- ‘Isn't it true that all the relevant statutory authorities have given the projects the thumbs up?’
- ‘It's with great regret that I give a collective thumbs down to a movie starring the normally entertaining Matthew Perry.’
- ‘I made my challenge and he accepted it with his version of a thumbs up.’
- ‘It would be a pity that this event would not be celebrated and the thumbs up sign has already given it the green light.’
- ‘All three chief officers of the services have given it the thumbs up.’
- ‘Frequent-flier expert Randy Petersen gave a thumbs down to the move.’
- ‘Councillors agreed to send the letter at the January meeting of the local authority after giving the proposal a firm thumbs down.’
- ‘They seemed to approve of my subject because I received some thumbs up signals.’
- ‘Many watching the march demonstrated their approval by giving a thumbs up or by clapping.’
- ‘The author - Jakob Nielsen - also gives a big thumbs down to subscriptions and advertisements.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.