One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of lettered or marked grooves cut down the side of a book, especially a diary or dictionary, for easy reference.
- ‘Kent's volume is a good size for students starting out in homeopathy and has a thumb index for added ease of use.’
- ‘The Indexed Edition features 21 thumb indexes and comes in a gold-embossed, two-piece blue box.’
- ‘One of the key design elements of the brochure is the series of thumb indexes along the face of the book.’
- ‘Color-coded main topic sections serve as thumb indexes and are coordinated to match the table of contents, making the sections very quick and easy to find.’
- ‘These known stepped or thumb indexes are easily damaged by being folded or worn-out according to long time use and this spoils the beauty of the pocketbook and the atlas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.