One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flash drive or USB stick.
- ‘Everybody claims that the USB thumb drive makes life so much easier, and they're not lying.’
- ‘The iPod Shuffle connects as easily and predictably as a USB thumb drive.’
- ‘Performance of the USB thumb drive was good as well.’
- ‘I never could have thought how useful a pocket knife and thumb drive could be together.’
- ‘It is safer to allow access only to named individuals, identifiable by a digital or PKI certificate such as a USB thumb drive.’
- ‘When the feature is ready to file I use a USB thumb drive to move the elements over to the IBM.’
- ‘Make it smaller and that will be lost - the Nano would become something utilitarian and forgettable like a thumb drive or a keychain.’
- ‘Just a few days ago I bought a little gadget that's a combination thumb drive, MP3 player, FM receiver, and voice recorder.’
- ‘Most of these products include USB thumb drives, portable hard drives, computer peripherals, and graphics cards.’
- ‘The same madness about size seems to have spread to the USB thumb drive, which usually come in 128MB to 512MB sizes.’
- ‘But thumb drives aren't the only form of digital storage media giving security executives heartburn.’
- ‘I use my USB thumb drive for file transfer because it's easier than a CD-R. It's not magically more or less dangerous than a CD-R.’
- ‘Over the years, USB thumb drives have become so common that a lot of manufacturers have started dressing them up and adding more features to make them more appealing and stand out in a crowd.’
- ‘By the sliding of a switch on this minuscule thumb drive, the drive would offer write protection.’
- ‘No more carrying around thumb drives, fussing with formats or forgetting assignments (although for some, the loss of this excuse could be a bad thing).’
- ‘Although digital storage devices such as thumb drives have been around for a few years, they are generally only used by people who work in IT departments.’
- ‘He grabbed a thumb drive out of his belt and plugged it into his computer, extracting the data on the centre screen.’
- ‘This thing cost me less then my prior 512 MB USB thumb drive, it weighs a lot less, is a lot smaller, and it even plays music.’
- ‘Will the Corsair Flash Voyager prove to be more durable and longer lasting than other inexpensive thumb drives?’
- ‘SanDisk plans complementary enhancements to the USB thumb drives that are already in the market and use flash memory, Wong said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.