One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The robbery and murder practiced by the Thugs in accordance with their ritual.
- ‘Leaders of the dreaded thuggee cult were trapped and held captive in tunnels by Major General Sir W.H. Sleeman.’
- ‘A number of indigenous sources testify to the existence of thuggee as a criminal practice in the seventeenth century if not earlier, and the emergence of thuggee cannot be ascribed the expansion of the British Raj only.’
- ‘As such, the campaigns against thuggee and suttee frequently cropped up in imperial apologetics.’
- ‘Wagner argues that the history of thuggee need no longer be limited to the study of its representation.’
- ‘This paper will examine the phenomenon designated thuggee by colonial authority in nineteenth-century India.’
From Hindi ṭhagī, from ṭhag (see thug).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.