One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Use one's influence to help support.
- ‘The President told us that we had their confidence and that they supported what we did and threw their weight behind us.’
- ‘The establishment decided in her favour and threw their weight behind her claim to the throne and maintaining the status quo.’
- ‘Foreign Affairs Minister Brian Cowen also threw his weight behind the Treaty.’
- ‘Gilbert is the latest business figure to throw his weight behind Scotland's bid to host the 2008 European football championships.’
- ‘Mr Murdoch told a Los Angeles conference he did not support a Conservative proposal to cap immigration and threw his weight behind Labour's points system.’
- ‘At Tuesday night's council meeting, she surprised some by throwing her weight behind the project.’
- ‘Influential church leaders threw their weight behind the strike.’
- ‘He threw his weight behind three candidates in last year's City Council elections.’
- ‘The campaign has the full support of the health industry, with many respected consultants throwing their weight behind the scheme.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.