One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Use one's influence to help support.
- ‘The President told us that we had their confidence and that they supported what we did and threw their weight behind us.’
- ‘The establishment decided in her favour and threw their weight behind her claim to the throne and maintaining the status quo.’
- ‘Gilbert is the latest business figure to throw his weight behind Scotland's bid to host the 2008 European football championships.’
- ‘At Tuesday night's council meeting, she surprised some by throwing her weight behind the project.’
- ‘Mr Murdoch told a Los Angeles conference he did not support a Conservative proposal to cap immigration and threw his weight behind Labour's points system.’
- ‘Influential church leaders threw their weight behind the strike.’
- ‘He threw his weight behind three candidates in last year's City Council elections.’
- ‘The campaign has the full support of the health industry, with many respected consultants throwing their weight behind the scheme.’
- ‘Foreign Affairs Minister Brian Cowen also threw his weight behind the Treaty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.