One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be unpleasantly self-assertive.
arrogant, bumptious, self-assertive, bullish, overweening, presumptuous, pushy, throwing one's weight about, overconfident, conceited, affected, snobbish, cocksure, cocky, brash, smug, haughty, supercilious, disdainful, lofty, patronizing, self-important, high-handed, cavalier, imperious, domineering, dictatorial, overbearing, lordly, peremptory, pompous, officious, blustering, boastful, opinionated, bold, forward, insolentView synonyms
- ‘For the moment Chirac can still enjoy the best of both worlds: standing up to the USA, and throwing his weight around in Francophone Africa.’
- ‘Finally we have the realisation that throwing our weight around in other countries might come back to haunt us.’
- ‘Problem is, you tend to get young blokes coming in groups of two or three, and just throwing their weight around.’
- ‘She seemed nice at first, but within a couple of days of them hooking up she started throwing her weight around, acting like they'd been going out for a year.’
- ‘He is the typical office bully who throws his weight around because he is the boss's man.’
- ‘I think a lot of us feel that there are too many senior doctors throwing their weight around.’
- ‘Officials tended to throw their weight around, whilst deferring to those above them on the bureaucratic ladder, to scramble for petty privilege, and to defend their narrow departmental turf.’
- ‘When you've already arrived you don't have to throw your weight around.’
- ‘I'll bet he was a real jerk around enlisted men… always throwing his weight around.’
- ‘The scientist-hero of the story then begins throwing his weight around, bending ministers to his will.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.