One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be discouraging or negative about.
lessen, decrease, diminish, reduce, lower, moderate, damp, damp down, put a damper on, throw cold water on, calm, cool, chill, dull, blunt, tone down, deaden, temper, discourageView synonyms
- ‘Is CBS attempting to throw cold water on Greenspan's prediction?’
- ‘These reports, in turn, threw cold water on what was otherwise a lovely day.’
- ‘He threw cold water on my hopes of completing my law course as quickly as possible.’
- ‘A report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development shreds government claims for success in schools and pours cold water on current educational policies.’
- ‘Instead, she threw cold water on all that Internet euphoria.’
- ‘If someone offers $5 billion worth of infrastructure do you throw cold water on it?’
- ‘BBC Scotland is trying to throw cold water on the hype surrounding its proposed soap, which has yet to be assigned a production team.’
- ‘Ever since the trendy Lefties in our society managed to throw cold water on competitive sports as part of the curriculum, our children have lost out on weekly exercise in schools.’
- ‘According to Phillips, new research also pours cold water on hopes that children mixing in schools might break down the barriers between communities.’
- ‘I'm afraid I was forced to throw cold water on these assumptions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.