One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An act of throwing the ball from the sideline to restart play after the ball has gone out of bounds.
- ‘He boots it up the field and Ball concedes a throw-in deep in the Stuttgart half.’
- ‘But Gavin switched off and allowed Martin Butler to slip past him and collect Shaun Barker's long throw-in.’
- ‘However, poor marking at a needlessly conceded 84 th-minute throw-in allowed the visitors to steal a point and grind out a draw.’
- ‘No offside offence is committed if the player receives the ball directly from a goal kick, throw-in or corner kick.’
- ‘The predictable jeering began as he collected the ball from a throw-in and cut inside the penalty area.’
- ‘The ball was played direct from a goal kick or throw-in.’
- ‘Portugal take the throw-in and immediately resume stroking the ball around purposefully.’
- ‘Dolan said he was baffled by referee Mike Jones' failure to penalise Exeter for delaying tactics at restarts and throw-ins.’
- ‘An intermittent pettiness about where throw-ins and free kicks are taken from that defies logic is to be expected.’
- ‘Silvestre helps him mop up by Heskeying the ball out for a throw-in.’
- ‘Are they actually including throw-ins as shots now?’
- ‘It is not just questionable penalty decisions that could be referred upstairs, but also throw-ins, corners, free kicks; the list goes on.’
- ‘Every tackle, every throw-in, every debatable decision is furiously contestable so that the hero can redeem United's followers.’
- ‘After a sustained period of pressure, Djorkaff nodded the ball down from a throw-in and into the path of the striker on the left-hand side of the area.’
- ‘It's swung in from the right and Sol Campbell's unconvincing attempt at a clearance goes out for a Celta Vigo throw-in.’
- ‘Sergio finds Valeron, who loses the ball but wins a throw-in.’
- ‘Your average team will catch a ball if the throw-in is at the opposition's try line and then give it out to the backs, but not the Hawks.’
- ‘He told us to appeal for every throw-in, corner and free kick; no matter how dodgy the claim was.’
- ‘His fourth minute throw-in sent Dave Henry away and the midfielder's right wing cross was swept in from five yards by Nesovic.’
- ‘A throw-in started the sequence before Robson volleyed home a Paul Mariner cross.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.