Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inflammation of the wall of a vein with associated thrombosis, often occurring in the legs during pregnancy.
- ‘Ginger is therefore a good herb for people with a history of stroke or atherosclerosis, thrombophlebitis and varicose veins.’
- ‘Lemierre's syndrome is characterised by internal jugular vein thrombophlebitis and septic pulmonary embolisation as a complication of pharyngotonsillitis.’
- ‘The most common adverse events with ertapenem therapy are diarrhea, nausea, headache, vaginitis in females, phlebitis / thrombophlebitis, and vomiting.’
- ‘The infection may spread to involve the parapharyngeal or retropharyngeal spaces with complications including mediastinitis and septic thrombophlebitis.’
- ‘Patients with a history of deep vein thrombosis or thrombophlebitis who have surgery should receive perioperative subcutaneous heparin prophylaxis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.