One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deficiency of platelets in the blood. This causes bleeding into the tissues, bruising, and slow blood clotting after injury.
- ‘Splenomegaly or giant hemangioma can result in thrombocytopenia because of platelet sequestration.’
- ‘Anemia with thrombocytopenia indicates leukemia, systemic lupus erythematosus or aplastic anemia.’
- ‘Hemolytic-uremic syndrome is characterized by the triad of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia and acute renal injury.’
- ‘Purpura may be secondary to thrombocytopenia, platelet dysfunction, coagulation factor deficiency or vascular defect.’
- ‘Chronic inhalation abuse may also cause bone marrow depression resulting in leukopenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukemia, and hemolysis.’
1920s: from thrombocyte + Greek penia ‘poverty’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.