Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an electric generator, motor, or other device) designed to supply or use simultaneously three separate alternating currents of the same voltage, but with phases differing by a third of a period.
- ‘If it is an AC motor, then it probably is a three-phase AC motor running at 240 volts AC with a 300 volt battery pack.’
- ‘High-performance linear ac power sources have output ranges from 500 VA to 12 kVA in single-phase, split-phase, or three-phase mode.’
- ‘Once they were repositioned, City Power had to be called in to install a three-phase power system in the pump house.’
- ‘The majority of the property was built specifically for its current use and features include a nurse call system, emergency lighting and a three-phase electricity system.’
- ‘The electrical system has been upgraded with power provided by a 25kVA three-phase generator.’
- ‘A 380V three-phase power supply was already in place following the expedition in 1997.’
- ‘According to Hodge, another important thing to consider is if you are going to need both single- and three-phase power.’
- ‘Differences in voltage or phasing in three-phase power feeding large motors can cause vibration, noise, overheating and other problems that may burn out compressors, pumps and other equipment dependent on such motors.’
- ‘The roof moves thanks to 5-hp, 460-v, three-phase electric motors, two per transporter.’
- ‘The shop has three-phase AC electric power coming in from an outside electric utility.’
- ‘Officials say that the consumers in the villages of the district will get 10 hours of assured three-phase supply for running their tubewells and two hours of two-phase supply in the evening.’
- ‘The three-phase alternating current motor puts out a peak 35kW to conventional steel half-shafts hooking up with each wheel.’
- ‘In some cases, higher power electronic equipment will actually require three-phase input.’
- ‘However, this won't work with a three-phase electricity system.’
- ‘But next fall, it will be a carbon fiber-sheathed vehicle powered by a 400-plus hp three-phase induction motor and 900 volts of nickel metal hydride batteries.’
- ‘The 35-kW, three-phase motor also serves as the flywheel, starter, alternator and traction motor to drive the front wheels.’
- ‘A geared three-phase motor, the speed of which would be controlled by an inverter linked up to the control panel would drive the belt.’
- ‘It generates 400 volts of three-phase electricity.’
- ‘A 55-kW three-phase synchronous motor is able to power the vehicle to up to 140 km/hour.’
- ‘The CPU voltage regulator is a three-phase one.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.