One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A race run by pairs of people, one member of each pair having their left leg tied to the right leg of the other.
- ‘While some children thrive on competition, there is always a proportion who regard a three-legged race as public humiliation.’
- ‘At first we have an arm around each other's waist, but it is awkward, like a three-legged race, so we break and just hold hands.’
- ‘At Tootals School Sports Day in 1948, Pauline and Betty won the three-legged race.’
- ‘A lot of mothers and fathers will be missing items of clothing from the wardrobe as everything from socks to neckties were used for the tying in the three-legged race.’
- ‘To and from school they'd walk so closely together they looked like they were in a three-legged race.’
- ‘Youngsters will also be competing in a sports event on the day, which includes a sprint, three-legged race and an egg and spoon race.’
- ‘But in three-legged races, there are always those who spend more time falling over than moving forward.’
- ‘There will be three-legged races, sack races, fun races, duck racing, and underage racing.’
- ‘Included are three-legged races, sack races, skittles, tug-o'-war, obstacle races, egg and spoon races, penalty shots, throw the wellie and a lot of other activities.’
- ‘They all joined in the three-legged race and the egg toss.’
- ‘Staff and students ‘dressed down’ for the day, bought raffle tickets, danced at a disco and joined in a three-legged race.’
- ‘For the children we're going to have a corn-husking contest, a sack race, and a three-legged race for both children and adults.’
- ‘The common on the Worcester Road will be given over to medieval games throughout the day, with traditional ‘sports’ such as blind man's buff, sack races and three-legged races.’
- ‘For her, motherhood was ‘like being in a three-legged race with a ball and chain on the legs’.’
- ‘Some great bonding activities include cheering with your team, making up the cheers with your team and running a three-legged race with your entire team.’
- ‘Apart from the competitive end, the emphasis will be on fun events with numerous novelty events again this year, ranging from three-legged races to a slow bicycle race and of course the ever popular family relay.’
- ‘We would like to crush any rumour right now that the only reason they are having a kid is so they can cheat at the parents' three-legged race at the school sports day.’
- ‘Organise simple races between the children, for example weaving in and out of trees along a certain length of the park, a hopping race, a three-legged race or an obstacle race.’
- ‘It included sack races, spud and spoon races, obstacle races, three-legged races and a tug-o-war and sprints for all the kiddies.’
- ‘Apparently the May Day party will feature a tug of war contest, a dog show and a three-legged race.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.