One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or resembling a thread.
viscous, gelatinous, viscid, sticky, glutinous, mucilaginous, thickView synonyms
- ‘That huge neon glow comes out as a thin, thready coloured tube and nothing like what they saw that night.’
- ‘Her hair was blonde and thready, and wrinkles covered a face that might have been pretty one day, a long time ago.’
2(of a sound, especially the voice) scarcely audible.‘he managed a thready whisper’
- ‘Her voice is faint and thready, and it is easy to imagine her propped up against the pillows in her Thirsk home, struggling to find the strength to continue.’
- ‘Joe's voice was thready, his eyes glass-green.’
- 2.1Medicine (of a person's pulse) scarcely perceptible.
- ‘The tongue is red, and there is a rapid thready pulse.’
- ‘She is hyperventilating, her pulse is racing and thready.’
- ‘Her pulse was thready, and she was in severe need of a doctor.’
- ‘A weak, thready pulse and pulsus alternans are associated with decreased left ventricular function.’
- ‘His pulse was weak, thready, and rapid, his extremities were cold and he was perspiring.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.