Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A process in which unwanted facial hair is removed by using twisted cotton thread to pull the hair from the follicle.
- ‘Another plus of threading is that it can be done on very short hairs.’
- ‘Bear the ache of threading for shapely eyebrows.’
- ‘The hair removal itself was successful, I would love to be able to continue threading.’
- ‘The ancient art of threading - a precision-perfect grooming technique - is a quick way to get them done.’
The system by which consecutive messages relating to a single subject on a message board or newsgroup are stored for retrieval.
- ‘Several problems arise from handling forums as if they were e-mail lists, beginning with the issues of threading, which, as mentioned above, are different in e-mail and the Web.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.