One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An experiment carried out only in the imagination.
- ‘At first glance, this analysis seems to be beyond cynical, but a simple thought experiment would suggest that the idea is not entirely unfounded.’
- ‘A simple thought experiment shows how dangerous are the implications of treating them as combatants.’
- ‘The point of the thought experiment is to portray the foetus as admittedly a person, but one who is illegitimately using someone else's body, without her consent, to stay alive.’
- ‘Philosophy lives and dies by the thought experiment, and I've concocted many of my own.’
- ‘As a thought experiment, consider a potentially uncomfortable example: the practice of polygamy.’
- ‘It is a thought experiment designed to arrive at a practical judgment, action upon which is anticipated to resolve one's predicament.’
- ‘There was once a famous physicist by the name of Erwin Schrodinger, and in 1935 he posed a thought experiment involving a very famous cat.’
- ‘In the first thought experiment, I will review in detail what the evidence says about how that change would affect the quality of their lives.’
- ‘Here'e a thought experiment for you: what are the ten most important issues that powerful graphic design might affect?’
- ‘To think about this problem, let's try a thought experiment.’
- ‘This is, you may recall, a thought experiment predicated on the notion that God exists and did make the world.’
- ‘As a thought experiment, try turning things on their heads.’
- ‘Each aphorism or set of aphorisms, must be examined as a thought experiment.’
- ‘But then, it's not meant to be a practical proposal, just a thought experiment.’
- ‘Here's a thought experiment: design any personal tax system you want.’
- ‘It seems intuitive that a thought experiment has to be based on reasonable and informative premises in order to be fruitful.’
- ‘By trusting our intuitions in the thought experiment, we falsely conclude that rapid waves cannot be light either.’
- ‘The substitute gospel we have just considered is not merely a thought experiment.’
- ‘As a thought experiment, I summarized her main criticisms of Islam and then substituted Christianity, a faith with which I'm more familiar.’
- ‘The soul could conceivably exist without a body, as Descartes tried to show when he carried out the thought experiment of imagining himself subject to demonic deception.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.