One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bivalve mollusk of warm seas, whose pinkish-brown shell is heavily ribbed and bears blunt or flattened spines.
Family Spondylidae: Spondylus and other genera
- ‘However, there are many marine parks and sanctuaries in which the thorny oysters may be found.’
- ‘Scallops, also called thorny oysters, are burrowing creatures; with a few exceptions they are able to swim.’
- ‘By late prehispanic times, the thorny oyster was distributed widely throughout the central Andes.’
- ‘I can still see the vivid orange flesh of a large thorny oyster, its shell spread open and decorated with a quilt of coral.’
- ‘All of the long tines that identify thorny oysters easily were gone, but a few nubs remained.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.