Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A parasitic worm with a thornlike proboscis for attachment to the gut of vertebrates.
- ‘They captured mole crabs to record their size, reproductive status and infestation by thorny-headed worms, for which these crabs are intermediate hosts.’
- ‘Among the horrible denizens of the rainforest are the chalcid wasp, which plants an egg in its victim; the thorny-headed worm, which reprograms its host; the sundew and new world pitcher plant, carnivorous plants; the segmented spider, which lurks in a hidden lair.’
- ‘Acanthocephalans are a type of metazoan parasite, also known as thorny-headed worms.’
- ‘The enteric parasite infesting the duck was identified as Polymorphus minutus, which is also known as a thorny-headed worm.’
- ‘Cockroaches infested with another species of thorny-headed worm are also attracted to light.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.