Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Surgical incision into the chest wall.
- ‘Some benefit has been observed when using epidural opiates alone for mastectomy, thoracotomy, extremity surgery and lower abdominal surgery.’
- ‘Techniques for pleurodesis include thoracotomy, thoracoscopy, chest tube insertion, and thoracentesis.’
- ‘Surgical lung biopsy was performed by formal thoracotomy or video-assisted thoracoscopy.’
- ‘The patient was subsequently referred to our hospital, where he underwent thoracotomy with left upper lobectomy and partial pericardiectomy.’
- ‘A thoracotomy was then performed through a standard right posterolateral thoracotomy incision.’
Late 19th century: from Greek thōrax, thorāc- ‘chest’ + -tomy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.