Each of the twelve bones of the backbone to which the ribs are attached.
- ‘Spinal nerves innervate the upper extremities within the enlargement in the cervical region between the fifth cervical vertebra and the first thoracic vertebra.’
- ‘The spinal column is composed of seven cervical vertebrae, twelve thoracic vertebrae, five lumbar vertebrae, the bony sacrum, and the coccyx.’
- ‘In one study of 129 adults, the point of termination of the spinal cord varied from the lower third of the twelfth thoracic vertebra to the middle third of the third lumbar.’
- ‘This condition is occasionally present, either unilaterally or bilaterally, in the other lumbar vertebrae and even in the thoracic vertebrae.’
- ‘One half of spinal fractures occur in the cervical vertebrae, one sixth in the thoracic vertebrae and one third in the lumbosacral vertebrae.’