One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unspecified age between thirty and forty (forty and fifty, etc.)‘I'm guessing she's forty-something’as noun ‘she writes a column geared to twenty- and thirty-somethings’
- ‘Like most of the All-Baseball.com writers, they are also thirty-something.’
- ‘I was nineteen, going on ten, she was thirty-something and living with a German poet but she liked collecting people.’
- ‘But what is so significant about being thirty-something and being ready to lead?’
- ‘It was, she told her fellow researchers, as if a nonagenarian suddenly looked forty-something.’
- ‘He was about thirty-something and looked dirty; hadn't shaved in weeks.’
- ‘I had promised myself that I would let loose and live like I was eighteen and not thirty-something.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.