One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In the third place (used to introduce a third point or reason).
- ‘Firstly, the legality has not been fully proven, secondly, the knock-on effects have not been thought through and thirdly, a question mark hangs over motives.’
- ‘And then thirdly, there need to be trucks made available within Ethiopia itself to transport the food to where it is most needed.’
- ‘And thirdly, it is writing not supported by fact and reality.’
- ‘Firstly, he is always urging me to stop drinking; secondly, he looks a good 10 years younger than he is; and thirdly, his special horror is addiction.’
- ‘Reasons for leaving were firstly getting a job elsewhere, secondly moving back to live with their parents and thirdly that they perceived that there were no jobs in Yorkshire.’
- ‘And thirdly, he introduced a ‘process which is strong enough to stop people making bad decisions when under pressure’.’
- ‘And thirdly, despite having always been resolutely opposed to sexism, lookism and shapeism I couldn't get over how ugly the crowd was.’
- ‘Secondly, they allow you to combine butter and eggs without recourse to flour, thus making the richest light snack ever and, thirdly, they take five minutes to cook.’
- ‘Secondly, it could plunge the country into another round of internecine fighting and, thirdly, it could put the US at odds with the UN.’
- ‘'Firstly, this is a West Coast Swing dance, secondly, I'll play what I want to play and thirdly, leave, see if I care!'’
- ‘And thirdly, right across Australia it's been very difficult to get an appropriate focus on performance and get results out to parents.’
- ‘And thirdly, and most importantly, there'll be other London-based sitcoms that I've completely failed to remember.’
- ‘First, it seeks to relieve some of the pressures on the labour market, second, it aims to curve inflation, and thirdly, it looks to position the relevant parties for the next election.’
- ‘And thirdly, these are not the only controls that have gone on.’
- ‘And thirdly, it didn't actually govern the country, being simply a legislative body with limited powers to enact laws for the Governor.’
- ‘And thirdly, they used to have a very impressive industrial base and impressive educating class.’
- ‘They were supposed to be about things that involved a very great amount of originality, and thirdly, they were supposed to be about an inventive step that was useful to society.’
- ‘And thirdly, I haven't really felt like posting all that much!’
- ‘Second, all users of the playing field should have a say in what money was spent on, and thirdly, there should be a co-ordinated approach to the raising of additional funds.’
- ‘And thirdly, it seems clear to me, in many more cases they're going to change their careers from choice, and it will be easier to do so.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.