One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- informal term for nictitating membrane
- ‘These membranes, essentially a third eyelid, can cover the exposed portion of the eye, since, as in all sharks, the upper and lower eyelids of catsharks cannot completely cover the eyeball.’
- ‘Crocodilians' eyes are immobile spheres covered by three eyelids: the third eyelid, the nictitating membrane, is transparent, but protects the eye from water.’
- ‘Later, she had a real breakthrough when she discovered that prions collect in pockets of lymphoid tissue in a sheep's nictitating membrane, or third eyelid.’
- ‘Eversion of the nictitating membrane is a condition in which the third eyelid protrudes.’
- ‘A crocodile's third eyelid flushes tears across the eyeball to lubricate its passage and to clean and protect the eye.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.