One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The locus of occult power and wisdom in the forehead of a deity, especially the god Shiva.
- ‘The gods went to Shiva, whose anger came out of his third eye in the form of energy to create a woman.’
- ‘Such was the anger that Lord Shiva is supposed to have used his energy from the third eye to form a woman.’
- ‘Chakrasamvara has also a third eye in the sculpture, like Shiva.’
- ‘Then followed the story related to Holi, where Lord Shiva, annoyed by Manmatha for disturbing his meditation, burns the latter to ashes with his third eye.’
- ‘Kali's attributes include a third eye and smiling face surmounted by a towering headdress bristling with horns, pink lotus blossoms at her ears.’
- 1.1 The “eye of insight” located in the forehead, which can be activated through the practice of yoga.
far-sightedness, foresight, foreknowledgeView synonyms
- ‘The third eye is understood as a spiritual eye which perceives spiritual realities, a seat of intuition.’
- ‘She simply wanted us to live through our third eyes, to see life as possibility.’
- ‘But the trouble with meditation and yoga and your third eye is that it takes so long.’
- ‘Is it true you can see auras when the third eye is opened?’
- ‘And when the camera has become your third eye, an intuitive extension of your brain, go to the library and study the work of the great masters.’
- ‘The third eye opens and you can see ahead into your own future.’
- ‘It represents the third eye of spiritual sight, which sees things the physical eyes cannot see.’
- ‘Do you know any good sites and/or books about the third eye and clairvoyance?’
- ‘I suppose in some societies they call it the third eye, but in our society we call it the gift of matakite, which means the ability to foresee.’
- ‘After the film wrapped, young Tamara was sent to a monastery to ‘develop her third eye.’’
- ‘While shooting in colour might seem easier than working in monochrome, photographers have to really use their third eye to ensure that they stand out in a world crammed with multi-hued photographs.’
- ‘He began giving to me a most wonderful and profound training concerning the use of the third eye.’
- ‘The third eye is commonly known for being the center of psychic activity in the brain.’
- ‘He explained and projected with his mind force the intricate use, development and unfoldment of the faculties of the third eye.’
- ‘Her third eye represents the creative vision of the artist, a kind of inner perception mingled with spirituality.’
- ‘I remain convinced that mothers come equipped with a powerful faculty that often keeps kids in check - perhaps a dependable third eye or eerie sixth sense!’
2informalanother term for pineal eye
- ‘Again with a supply of Vitamin A, most of the amphibians developed third eyes within 15 days.’
- ‘It has a spiny back and a third eye on top of its head.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.