Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic crystalline compound used in photography and the manufacture of synthetic resins.
- ‘IPI test results indicate the thiourea in the formula is the effective ingredient, converting image silver to stable silver sulfide.’
- ‘All three have been shown to be active in a variety of yeast-based screens and there is some evidence that urethane and thiourea may induce free radicals in yeast cells.’
- ‘Isothiocyanate reacts spontaneously with amino groups to form thiourea which interferes in the thyroid gland with the organification of iodide and the formation of thyroid hormone.’
- ‘However, the presence of thiourea in the RB prevents effective protein alkylation by IAA.’
- ‘Though the mutagenic activity of ethylene thiourea is well documented, very little is known about the deleterious effects of zineb.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.