One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt containing the anion SCN⁻.
- ‘The DNA was prepared using guanidine thiocyanate, ethanol precipitation, protease K digestion, chloroform extraction and ethanol precipitation as described previously, and dissolved in TE buffer.’
- ‘It was mixed in a water-based solution of cobalt thiocyanate, ferric chloride, and various acids.’
- ‘The enzyme myrosinase reacts with glucosinolates present in plant foods and generates thiocyanate.’
- ‘Why for instance does the use of two different monovalent salts, potassium thiocyanate and potassium chloride, produce such different results?’
- ‘Both thiocysteine and thiosulfate can be used by the enzyme rhodanese to incorporate sulfur into cyanide, thereby detoxifying the cyanide to thiocyanate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.