One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volatile solvent used to make paint or other mixtures less viscous.
- ‘Household batteries, paints, varnishes, thinners, adhesives, solvents and waste oils are all classified as hazardous by the Environmental Protection Agency.’
- ‘In his statement, which was read out to the court, Mr Hay said he kept items including paints and thinners in a wheelie bin in his back yard.’
- ‘The counterfeit vodka was contaminated with methanol, an industrial wood alcohol more commonly used in anti-freeze and paint thinners, which could present a major health risk to anyone drinking it.’
- ‘A building firm must pay £9,000 over an incident in which children playing with a can of paint thinners were burned when the can exploded.’
- ‘So, I took a palette knife to it, scraped all the paint off, and then wetted a tissue with thinner and wiped the canvas as clean is it'd get.’
- ‘Investigators said he was smoking marijuana and inhaling paint thinners when a burning candle ignited the fumes.’
- ‘Pesticide products in pressurized cylinders, oil, antifreeze, tires, paints, varnishes, thinners, cleaners and solvents will not be accepted.’
- ‘They expressed grave concern that the abuse of drugs - like stimulants and paint thinners - not only harm individuals but destroy entire families.’
- ‘He said the children had found some matches in a skip on the site and this led to the explosion of the paint thinner.’
- ‘At the time of the blaze, in April this year, the site held around 400,000 litres of chemicals, primarily those used in such substances as paint thinners.’
- ‘You need at least top quality brushes to get it on, and rubber gloves, good ventilation and special thinners to get it off your expensive brushes.’
- ‘His emphysema prevents him from using conventional oil paints, which require turpentine and thinners, so he uses a modern, water-based alternative.’
- ‘In the home, pregnant women should avoid prolonged exposure to pesticides and to solvents such as paint thinners and strippers.’
- ‘He then attacks it through mechanical means, using paint thinners or sandpaper to get at the layers of color inherent in the chromogenic paper's emulsion.’
- ‘Primary school and high school aged children were caught sniffing solvents such as spray paint, thinners and lighter fluid in plastic bags and bottles.’
- ‘The four workers were working near paint thinners when the explosion occurred with each worker receiving serious facial burns.’
- ‘He agreed with the prosecution case that the apartment had been doused in petrol and paint thinner.’
- ‘There was non disclosure of the fact that camping gas cylinders, paint thinners and similar items were stored on the vessel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.