One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A body of experts providing advice and ideas on specific political or economic problems.
- ‘But the think tank said new rules could sometimes help business.’
- ‘A German economic think tank is predicting the loss of 100,000 jobs, with banks and insurers the hardest hit.’
- ‘He was not who his father wanted him to be, and his job at a conservative think tank promised to drive the man over the edge.’
- ‘The think tank projected next year's economic growth would hit 4.01 percent.’
- ‘John moves on from his distinguished career as a student to working for a government think tank in a university.’
- ‘He hopes the independent think tank will be able to act in ways that a government agency cannot.’
- ‘A think tank has been set up by the county council to update arrangements for dealing with any crisis in the county.’
- ‘Areas set to be examined by the new think tank include taxation and UK membership of the European Union.’
- ‘Proposals being put forward by a government think tank also include a ban on adopted children marrying their siblings.’
- ‘As a member of its board, he convinced the think tank that it had to function as a business rather than a charity.’
- ‘The author is a full-time researcher at a local economic think tank.’
- ‘So why is a Washington think tank funneling money to universities to encourage liberal journalism?’
- ‘A think tank's level of influence often depends on which political party is in power.’
- ‘The think tank said consumers were shaking off worries over jobs, while firms were investing again.’
- ‘A leading think tank is forecasting that lower growth in the economy will blow a large hole in the government's spending plans.’
- ‘As far as my little experience is concerned, I am very happy directing a young think tank that is growing at a fast pace.’
- ‘And recently a government think tank came up with the idea that people owning a second property should pay a higher rate of council tax.’
- ‘The independent academy is regarded as a think tank for crucial political and social issues for the Chinese government.’
- ‘He said he would want to be still involved in policymaking, rather than in business, perhaps with a think tank or an NGO.’
- ‘Anglican bishops should be stripped of their right to sit in the Lords, says the Fabian Society, a Labour think tank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.