Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A body of experts providing advice and ideas on specific political or economic problems.
- ‘The author is a full-time researcher at a local economic think tank.’
- ‘He was not who his father wanted him to be, and his job at a conservative think tank promised to drive the man over the edge.’
- ‘Proposals being put forward by a government think tank also include a ban on adopted children marrying their siblings.’
- ‘A think tank has been set up by the county council to update arrangements for dealing with any crisis in the county.’
- ‘Areas set to be examined by the new think tank include taxation and UK membership of the European Union.’
- ‘And recently a government think tank came up with the idea that people owning a second property should pay a higher rate of council tax.’
- ‘He hopes the independent think tank will be able to act in ways that a government agency cannot.’
- ‘The think tank said consumers were shaking off worries over jobs, while firms were investing again.’
- ‘He said he would want to be still involved in policymaking, rather than in business, perhaps with a think tank or an NGO.’
- ‘But the think tank said new rules could sometimes help business.’
- ‘A leading think tank is forecasting that lower growth in the economy will blow a large hole in the government's spending plans.’
- ‘As a member of its board, he convinced the think tank that it had to function as a business rather than a charity.’
- ‘As far as my little experience is concerned, I am very happy directing a young think tank that is growing at a fast pace.’
- ‘A think tank's level of influence often depends on which political party is in power.’
- ‘A German economic think tank is predicting the loss of 100,000 jobs, with banks and insurers the hardest hit.’
- ‘Anglican bishops should be stripped of their right to sit in the Lords, says the Fabian Society, a Labour think tank.’
- ‘The think tank projected next year's economic growth would hit 4.01 percent.’
- ‘The independent academy is regarded as a think tank for crucial political and social issues for the Chinese government.’
- ‘John moves on from his distinguished career as a student to working for a government think tank in a university.’
- ‘So why is a Washington think tank funneling money to universities to encourage liberal journalism?’
think tank/ˈTHiNGk ˌtaNGk/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.