Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Chromatography in which compounds are separated on a thin layer of adsorbent material, typically a coating of silica gel on a glass plate or plastic sheet.
- ‘Fatty acid methyleslers were purified by high-performance thin-layer chromatography and subjected to gas-chromatographic analysis.’
- ‘All samples were checked after the NMR experiments by thin-layer chromatography as described, and revealed no contamination or lipid degradation.’
- ‘Traditional toxicology screens that employ thin-layer chromatography can detect MDMA metabolites in the urine.’
- ‘The reaction product was separated on silica-coated plates by thin-layer chromatography, using chloroform/methanol as the mobile phase.’
- ‘In that study, AQ composition was confirmed by infrared spectroscopy, gas chromatography and thin-layer chromatography.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.