Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A boot that reaches to the thigh.‘a pair of black leather thigh boots’
- ‘Other celebrity lots include a snazzy pair of leopard print thigh-high Miu Miu boots worn by Madonna for her 2012 Super Bowl performance and some sexy Manolo Blahnik thigh boots worn by Elle Macpherson on the catwalk.’
- ‘If you are a child of the seventies, eighties or nineties then don your flares, mini-skirts, thigh boots and psychedelic shirts and make your way to Abbaesque this Friday night.’
- ‘She recently appeared wearing leather thigh boots and a wedding ring, but nothing else.’
- ‘I'm not keen on the thigh boots with that outfit.’
- ‘Clad in sou'wester and thigh boots, his rugged, bearded features are every inch the Victorian lifeboatman.’
- ‘Betsy Johnson highlighted some retro 80s styling with tomahawk hairstyles and over-the-knee thigh boots.’
- ‘Sadly she isn't wearing thigh boots but knee-high ones with a stiletto heel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.