Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reaching as high as a person's thigh.[as adjective] ‘black thigh-high boots’[as adverb] ‘skirts are sexily split thigh-high’
- ‘Few frocks hitting the rails right now are boasting thigh-high hemlines.’
- ‘Her outfit was daring, for this early in the Sixties: short white tasseled go-go boots, polka-dot stretch knit hose, a thigh-high white vinyl skirt, and a deep purple poor-boy sweater.’
- ‘She wore a dark grey sweater and a black knee-length skirt, complemented by black thigh-high socks and a pair of black dress boots.’
- ‘Every time we go into town together, Victoria and Chase have a huge argument about Chase's thigh-high boots.’
- ‘Thankfully, she still dresses like a twenty-something new wave chick: miniskirt, thigh-high boots, glittery fishnet tights and artfully-ripped T-shirt.’
- ‘I wore a multi-layered black and crimson dress that reached to just above my knees, black leather thigh-high boots with a multitude of zippers and buckles, and a pair of small black angel wings with tattered feathers that I'd torn myself.’
- ‘But while Sam is great, and I wish her continued success, there's no way I was going to put on a rubber dress and thigh-high boots to come to the store opening party.’
- ‘When one thinks of a cheerleader, the image of a blonde sporting a thigh-high skirt is often what comes to mind.’
- ‘Her attire was crimson with only trimmings of the traditional black, and consisted of a skintight corset top, full-length skirt slit so high that it was practically cleaved in half, and skintight thigh-high boots.’
- ‘The cream-colored unitards extended to cover the hands, giving the dancers unnaturally long arms, and the thigh-high black leg warmers gave them short legs.’
- ‘Snug reefer jackets with raised collars were paired with thigh-high black leather boots.’
- ‘When he emerged from Minneapolis in the late 1970s wearing thigh-high boots and bikini underwear, he seemed like a period curio: a creature sprung from disco-era clubland who played choppy funk on New Wave keyboards.’
- ‘And while she was statuesque, her body was fully in proportion, slim and shapely, moulded by a black tee shirt, matching shorts, and thigh-high leather boots.’
- ‘It's easy to overlook certain things about someone, when they're first introduced to you wearing a tube top and thigh-high boots.’
- ‘He or she then places sequential compression stockings over thigh-high elastic stockings on the patient's legs.’
- ‘I'd been wearing my spike-heeled thigh-high boots for over two hours straight already, I told him, and so my feet were quite ready for some sensual attention.’
- ‘Amber's vest with Kitty's leather miniskirt was a nice look with my black hair and pale skin, and to top it off I borrowed Chase's thigh-high boots.’
- ‘I had on a black pinstripe mini and thigh-high stockings with lace at the top.’
- ‘I would wear hairpieces to school, and for Christmas I wore my Santa elf costume with thigh-high red boots.’
- ‘Jillian also loves this amazing mini-jumper, and thigh-high socks give her a leggy look.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.