One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vitamin of the B complex, found in unrefined grains, beans, and liver, a deficiency of which causes beriberi. It is a sulfur-containing derivative of thiazole and pyrimidine.Also called "vitamin B1" (see vitamin B)
- ‘The B vitamin thiamine is essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates into simple glucose sugar.’
- ‘Whole grains are also important sources of vitamins and minerals, such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, selenium, zinc and iron.’
- ‘For example, use whole-wheat pasta in place of enriched pasta to add fiber, magnesium, iron and B vitamins (niacin, thiamin and riboflavin) to your meal.’
- ‘Chronic alcoholism can result in deficiencies of thiamin, which can seriously impair mental abilities.’
- ‘Traditionally used as a medicine in different parts of the world, ginger contains minerals such as iron, calcium and phosphorous and vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin and vitamin C.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.