One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The region of the atmosphere above the mesosphere and below the height at which the atmosphere ceases to have the properties of a continuous medium. The thermosphere is characterized throughout by an increase in temperature with height.
- ‘‘Entering the thermosphere in five-four-three-two-one’ counted down the copilot.’
- ‘There are no significant sources of heat in the mesosphere as there are in the stratosphere below and the thermosphere above.’
- ‘Whilst carbon dioxide is causing a global rise in temperature at the Earth's surface, it has the opposite effect in the upper part of the atmosphere known as the thermosphere.’
- ‘The structure of the thermosphere is dominated by waves in temperature, with large amplitude and wavelength.’
- ‘For terminology buffs, the portion of the earth's atmosphere from 50 to 85 km above the equator generally is referred to as the mesosphere, whereas the segment above 80-85 km is referred to as the thermosphere.’
- ‘It lies between 60 and 100 kilometres up, that is above the stratosphere where all the ozone is, and below the thermosphere where our atmosphere trails off towards the vacuum of space.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.