Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting substances (especially synthetic resins) that set permanently when heated.Often contrasted with thermoplastic
- ‘After polymerisation using heat, light, radiation, or catalysis a range of strong thermosetting plastics can be produced.’
- ‘‘We developed an aromatic thermosetting polymer for use as an insulating material in copper chip technology,’ said James Economy, a professor of materials science and engineering at Illinois.’
- ‘He called this material Bakelite - after himself - and it was the first thermosetting plastic in the world.’
- ‘Made from fiberglass reinforcements and thermosetting polyester, the products come in many shapes and are corrosion resistant, strong, lightweight, and dimensionally stable, the manufacturer says.’
- ‘The methanal can then be used in the manufacture of thermosetting plastics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.