Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nuclear reactor using thermal neutrons.
- ‘Experimental results have proved that the thermal reactor can easily be integrated with other non-thermal components.’
- ‘The strategy is to start with uranium-fuelled thermal reactors, go on to fast-breeder reactors, and eventually replace them with thorium-breeder reactors.’
- ‘The reason for the choice of thermal reactors is a simple one: a thermal reactor requires a small amount of fuel to become critical, and thus the fuel is cheap.’
- ‘In accordance with the present invention, the system is provided with a thermal reactor having a reaction chamber.’
- ‘The construction of thermal reactors is quite simple and relatively inexpensive.’
- ‘In April 1997 a major leak of radioactive tritium from an advanced thermal reactor occurred.’
- ‘These engineering factors and the cheap price of uranium mean that thermal reactors have dominated the nuclear scene since its inception and are expected to do so in the coming several decades.’
- ‘Most of the current commercial reactors in the world are thermal reactors, also called light-water reactors.’
- ‘Most reactors are called thermal reactors because they utilise slow neutrons to trigger nuclear fission.’
- ‘Removal of heat from thermal reactors is done with coolants such as carbon dioxide gas or light water or heavy water.’
- ‘Thus Niobium Carbide and Zirconium Carbide are suitable materials for coatings in thermal reactors.’
- ‘By combining thermal reactors with on-site pyrometallurgical recycling and fast-neutron reactors, many of the drawbacks of traditional thermal reactors can be avoided.’
- ‘In the near term, the new reactor would burn fuel made by recycling spent fuel from thermal reactors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.