One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1At that place.
- ‘Our client is a little concerned as he has been allowed access to the premises and has expended substantial sums thereat.’
- ‘In the case of a meeting held to select a candidate for other than a Statewide office, the chairman of the meeting shall be chosen by majority vote of the persons present and entitled to vote thereat.’
- ‘Fourteen clear days' notice shall be given to all Clubs of the date, place and time of a Special General Meeting and of the business proposed to be transacted thereat.’
- ‘It shall be the duty of the manager of every mine to secure that no person is employed thereat in any work otherwise than under the instruction and supervision of some person competent to give instruction in, and supervise, the doing of that work, unless the first-mentioned person has received adequate instruction in, and (where necessary) training for, the doing of that work and is competent to do it without supervision.’
- ‘At any meeting held for the selection of a candidate under this subsection, a majority of the persons eligible to vote thereat shall be required to be present for the conduct of any business, and no person shall be entitled to vote at that meeting who is appointed to the State committee or county committee after the seventh day preceding the date of the meeting.’
2On account of or after that.
- ‘Thereat he experiences feelings that are painful, sharp and severe.’
- ‘The particular acts or conduct that amount to a criminal offence or attempt thereat may take many different forms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.